Tuesday, April 12, 2016

(Mis)Adventure is the Spice of Life

April 2016

There have been few happenings in my life since we moved to Houston, but those which occurred rocked the boat.  A normal day in this 700-square-foot apartment includes minimal work from my laptop, preparing the meals of the day, eating at least two of the three alone, watching movies and reading books to pass the time until we retire to bed, only to start all over again. When the lack of human contact starts to press down on me too much, I’ve escaped for a day with my parents or with a friend on the other side of the city. Perhaps this is why the three (mis)adventures stand out so much.

The day after we moved into the apartment, Sky and I turned on the heating unit to attempt to battle the January chill. Luckily, at this time, we still had Kayley with us. It was she that woke me up at the witch’s hour to heed nature’s call. Though not a morning person (in the slightest), I can’t say that getting up and walking my fuzzy companion was unpleasant. The morning was crisp and quiet. Kayley was cheerful and curious.

When we returned and had resettled in our beds, the peace was shattered by smoke and loud popping sounds coming from the heater in the ceiling of our bathroom. Adrenaline pumped through my veins as I considered that we’d be burned out of our apartment before we’d even settled in. I turned off the unit and found the fire extinguisher, settled Kayley as best I could, and placed a call to the emergency maintenance number (getting no response).

Suffice it to say that my Sunday morning was anything but peaceful.

We attended church, but I was too concerned about leaving Kayley alone in a potentially flammable apartment beyond an hour. Sky and I returned without talking to anyone so that we could attempt getting maintenance done and make our new ‘home’ safe.

It took two trips for the men on call to realize that we did need a new unit and to order one. It took three days after that to order and replace the darn thing. For those days, Kayley and I huddled beneath thick blankets together, me sipping tea and trying to get my fingers to move and accomplish my work.
When we finally had it all sorted, I began to imagine that we could manage here, but Kayley’s opinion of the place was settled firmly in discontent. It only increased as another week passed and the second ‘incident’ occurred.

Again, on a Sunday morning, Kayley urgently requested being taken out. I’m afraid that I’d had a bit of an allergy attack, so Sky offered to take her. Sky started his walk with her without a problem, making the rounds and greeting another woman out with her two hounds. But just as Sky and Kayley were returning to the apartment, Sky heard the woman he met start shouting with some measure of distress. Not wanting to waste time, Sky tethered Kayley to a tree below our apartment window and ran down to offer assistance.

I awoke to Kayley’s distressed barking. Still fuzzy with medicine, I couldn’t figure out what was going on: where was Sky? Why was Kayley tied to a tree? I brought her inside and waited for Sky to come back from wherever it was that he’d gone, unease rising in me like the waves at floodtide.

When Sky did come back, it was at a run. One of the hounds he’d encountered only minutes before had caught a cat and severely wounded it. The owner tried to stop her dog, but with two large beasts to control, she was unable to do more than drag them away. Sky had left the cat in the middle of the road, unsure what to do next. Together, we returned to the creature, armed with a rag for a bandage and a phone to call animal control for medical care.

But by the time we arrived, it was clear that the cat had breathed its last into the frosty morning. It felt wrong to let the creature lie there with no loving hands to ease its way out of the world. I wrapped the cat in the rag we’d brought, covering the wounds and wishing that it hadn’t suffered such an unexpected beginning of the day and end of life.

We did what we could, informing management of the incident, and tried to return our day to normal. But it seemed like things couldn’t completely recover. Kayley grew more distressed and depressed. And as Sky’s work kept him later and later and as his stress increased, he couldn’t manage Kayley’s middle-of-the-night complaints.

Moving Kayley home to my parents’ increased the comfort of both Bug and Sky, but I’ve suffered from the loss of my primary companionship. I suppose two out of three is a decent achievement.

For a month or more now, we’ve lived in our routine. Sky gets up and leaves for work before I get up. He returns long after dinner. I fill my days with as much productivity as I can manage on my own and prepare meals for Sky to pack and take with him. Going out for a walk or run around the block is often the only real exploration I have during my days. But, finally, the accounting busy season is burning down to a few last glowing coals.

This last Saturday, we even went out to eat with a couple from church. But as we drove through the gate at our apartment, we saw an individual who became the catalyst for our most recent incident.
An older man walked into our complex, following a resident’s car. What made this man appear out of place was not his behavior, but his attire. The man was dressed in only white briefs. My first thought was that he’d been mugged or perhaps suffering from dementia. Now, I only regret that I didn’t think more of this man and call someone about him.

We had a lovely time at dinner with our new friends. The restaurant served delicious food, but honestly, it was the companionship and conversation that I feasted on. I’ve yet to find a kindred spirit or girls’ night companion here, so even this simple outing was a wonderful reprieve. When we returned home, all thought of the confused man had escaped me.

Then we saw the glass. Our neighbor, downstairs and to the right, had a shattered window; the fragments littered the walk. Sky and I both went closer to investigate. Though the window was destroyed, the blinds were still intact, so we knew that the dark apartment hadn’t been broken into. 
And there was a notice from the police indicating their involvement.

Seeing nothing we could do, we went up to our apartment and started a movie. Glancing out my window, I then noticed more glass in the street across from our building. The large windows from an upstairs apartment opposite ours had been broken, and a large pile of belongings were gathered at the foot of the damage.

Now, more than a little concerned, Sky followed me out to look closer. As we surveyed the damage, two men looked out the empty window frame at us.

It seems that after we’d left the complex for dinner, the man in his undies had attempted to gain entrance to three apartments. The first two, he simple smashed the window and moved on, yelling that “they” were after him and would kill him. The final apartment was home to a couple. The boyfriend had just stepped out to go to the store, and when the older guy had climbed the stairs to the apartment and banged on the door, the woman had opened it enough for the guy to force his way in.

Somehow, he locked the door, took away the woman’s cell phone when she tried to call the police, and began to destroy and abuse the contents of the apartment. The poor woman was scared by this assault, and her only escape was out to the balcony. She leapt—incurring several fractures—and was soon taken to the hospital by ambulance. The man, still inside her apartment, proceeded to throw belongings out the back window.

After multiple calls, the police arrived. It took several officers to bring the man down and restrain him. The boyfriend returned in time to witness this final scuffle.

Sky and I spent the rest of our evening sweeping up glass, trying to get a hold of our downstairs neighbor to let her know what had happened, and communicating with maintenance to cover the shattered windows.

In the process of damage control, we met and spoke with 7 neighbors, most of whom we’d never even seen before. And while I appreciate the people who did step out of their rabbit-hutch apartments, I can’t help but wonder: where was everyone else? In each of our interactions, Sky and I were the catalysts. We initiated help and communication. We initiated service. And a few responded. Where were the others?

Perhaps this is the culture of millennials or the people of Houston. Perhaps this is normal anywhere. But if it is, I want no part of it. I want to belong to a community that cares and helps and uplifts. I want a neighborhood watch and the man across the street who yells, “Car!” so that kids playing outside know to stay out of danger. I want to knock on a neighbor’s door to borrow a cup of sugar and be invited in for a chat.

Where is that community? I know I’m not alone in wanting it! I know I wasn’t the only one raised to pitch in.

Anyway, these have been the experiences shaping our current residence. They bring relief from monotony and increased stress in isolation. And despite it all, we are still where we need to be. We are resilient, and Sky has a good job (in walking distance), so here we stay. Perhaps, in time, we can find a way to build a small, caring neighborhood here. Maybe Captain Underpants has actually blessed us with a reason to know our neighbors and pitch in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment